Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Election Day

The campaigning is basically over for me at this point. I had planned to greet “A” shift as they left to vote this morning, but my wife is working today, so I made some eggs for my son’s breakfast and got him ready for school. I’ll go to the 2:30 pm union meeting and cast my ballot, then I’ll greet “C” shift as they head to the polls. The best part of the campaign for me was getting out into the different departments and talking union with my fellow union brothers and sisters. Some were enthusiastic about what I had to say, some were not, but everybody was polite, whether they intended to vote for me or not. The hot end guys were great, I was surprised how many knew who I was and to get support there was the highlight of the campaign. Special thanks to VP candidate Richard Motsenbocker for his council during this time. Standing out in the driving, windy cold air with Richard yesterday, handing out flyers and talking all things union with my co-workers is a memory I won’t soon forget. Regarding Richard, I feel like we have developed a true friendship and our union is lucky to have tenacious representatives like him fighting the good fight. As for myself, I have tried to conduct my campaign with dignity and respect. I didn’t badmouth my opponents or others running for office. I respect everybody who runs. To run for and win elected office entails a sacrifice and commitment of your free time, both at work and at home. Just because we have differences of opinions on how our union should be run, in the end we need to come together as a union to face the challenges ahead. I have heard there was some mudslinging going on at work over the campaign, but except for a few bizarre attempted posts on this blog I found most of my co-workers had positive attitudes about our union and the election (Note: This blog will not accept posts from “anonymous” anymore, if you are going to post, be man or women enough to put your name on your letter, otherwise don’t bother). So my message would be get out and vote, and regardless of who wins today support your elected officers, try to attend monthly union meetings, and support your union.

1 comment:

Nacho said...

Good message it's an important time in our union we need to stay strong and united thru the election no matter if your choice doesn't win. If half the membership is at odds with the other half over results then that's score one for the bad guys come contract time.