Thursday, November 19, 2009

News and Notes

Since the election I have been busy with various union duties, including my first Business Committee meeting, which is a monthly meeting between the union and the company to discuss outstanding issues. Yesterday I attended my first Union Meeting as Recording Secretary and I would like to thank everyone who showed up at the meeting and I would like to encourage everyone to attend the next meeting on Dec 16th at 6:30 am, 2:30 pm, and 6:30 pm. The rest of my time has been spent with various clerical work, including letter writing, typing up reports, and filing. I have also been fortunate in getting to spend time in conversation with President Carlos Contreras and he has been very generous with his time, educating me on the various procedures and issues that a local president has to deal with on a day to day basis. I will continue blogging about union issues that I see in the news, and write about books and magazine articles that advocate the pro-worker stance that most Americans whole heartedly support. Once again I would like to thank everyone who took the time to vote in the election and whether your preferred candidate won or lost, I would like to see all union members rally around your elected leadership. Our union will face many challenges ahead, including contract negotiations, but if we all stay united and strong we can achieve great things.

No comments: